Google Malware Threats

Google has been busy removing malware threats from Google Play, but now they’re back. Here’s what to watch out for take a look at this recent article about Google Malware Threats. So, how has this happened? Google Malware Threats can steal sensitive information or send fake emails from a user’s email account. This often happens without the user’s knowledge.

Contact the LIS Help Desk to discuss our latest Office 365 Security Package, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam software solutions.

Google Malware Threats

Android malware authors have been relying on a solid trick for bypassing Google’s security scans and sneaking malicious apps into the Play Store.

Almost 2 billion malware installs thwarted by Google Play Protect in 2019

Strengthened app safety policies, a better developer approval process and enhancements to its machine learning detection system made the Google Play Store an even more secure place last year, according to Google.

“Last year, Google Play Protect also prevented more than 1.9 billion malware installs from non-Google Play sources,” Google Play Product Manager Andrew Ahn. He wrote in reference to Android’s built-in threat protection tool. The figure represents an increase from 1.6 billion malicious apps from outside of the official Android storefront that were blocked.

A new Android marketplace policy introduced in 2018, also recorded a 98% decrease in apps accessing users’ SMS and call log dat. The remaining 2% require access to data in order to perform core functions. (In some cases, the new policy affected legitimate services from using SMS permissions for security, privacy and safety reasons.)

The tech giant also ramped up its protection against malicious apps. It praised its collaboration with partners in the Android App Alliance, of which ESET is an inaugural member. Enhanced vetting mechanisms helped Play Protect stop over 790,000 policy-violating apps from being published to Google Play. The store’s threat protection service now scans over 100 billion apps every day. This allowed it to double the number it scanned in 2018.

More improvements required

Other improvements include a new policy aimed at protecting children and families. This led to the removal or updates of tens of thousands of apps last year. The policy introduced new requirements concerning the disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). As well as the suitability of content and adverts for children.

Having said all that, Google stressed that there’s more work to be done. They reiterated its commitment to enhancing users’ privacy and security.

All things considered; you can always take several easy steps that will go a long way towards beefing up your protection. These include being cautious about the apps you install. Be carefull especially – but not only – from outside the Play Store. Users need to pay attention to the permissions that the apps request. Maake sure you have a reputable mobile security solution installed on your device.

Contact the LIS Help Desk to make sure your protected, stay safe and be secure!

#GooglePlay #MalwareThreats #AndroidUsers